What is a “Green” Wedding?
A “green” wedding is any wedding where the couple makes an effort to decrease the impact and carbon footprint of their event on the planet by making sustainable choices throughout the wedding planning process.
Are “Green” Weddings More Expensive?
No. This is an unfortunate misconception. There are many eco-friendly wedding choices that are also friendly with your budget. In fact, planning a “green” wedding can actually save you money!
Green Wedding Planning Tips:
- Have a local wedding vs. a destination wedding.
- Have the ceremony and reception in the same location.
- Create a charity registry so guests can give donations in your honor in lieu of gifts.
- Set up a “green” honeymoon registry.
- Use local, seasonal flowers. Consider using live plants instead of cut flowers.
- Use simple, non-themed décor that can be reused for other occasions.
- Wear a recycled dress.
- Avoid disposable accessories…i.e. disposable cameras.
- Use recycled paper for postcard-sized save-the-dates and all-in-one invitations.
- Plan an organic and locally grown menu.
- Rent cloth linens and napkins, flatware, plateware and glassware.
- No bottled water! Provide a water station or water pitchers on dinner tables.
- Recycle everything you can!
Green Wedding Planning Resources:
Page Content Resources:
The Green Bride Guide; Kate L. Harrison. 2008. Sourcebooks, Inc. P.O. Box 4410, Naperville, Illinois, 60567-4410, 630-961-2169, www.sourcebooks.com.
Green Event Planning Guide, City of Kansas City, Missouri, Bridging the Gap – P.O. Box 10220, Kansas City, Missouri, 64171, 816-561-1087, www.bridgingthegap.org.